Sunday, April 8, 2007

Wind Continues to Haunt Me

I've been a lazy blogger or perhaps a forgetful blogger. A few weeks ago I was having a mini-holy-crap-I-can't-believe-I'm-actually-30 crisis. It seems to have abated now and I am in the acceptance phase. Hey life seems to be getting better with age even if my skin isn't :-)

Early last week I went out for another long distance ride, a very unique one to a Passover dinner. Biking up Yonge Street actually wasn't too bad and shaved some of my time off as well as giving me an opportunity to practice on that huge hill around Davisville. I was in the very last of my gears pushing up that hill and the wind was just brutal I nearly got blown into traffic. Very near the peak of it, I had to get off and push my bike the rest of the way (and even that was a challenge).

At Eglinton I switched and took a bunch of side streets. Duplex is fun. I wound my way up near Sheppard. About 20kms in 1h10mins. Not bad considering how windy it was.

On the way home with a tableful of hardcore Passover food in my gut (much to my family's dismay), I hopped on Betty for the return trip home. It was a bit chilly but warm once I started riding. Flying down Yonge Street at night is unbelievable fun and highly recommended. Downhill it took about 50 minutes using the same route.

Next weekend is my first real training ride (34kms) so the plan is to get out this week and do at least another 20kms. The weather seems poised to ruin my plans however....

No comments: