Friday, April 27, 2007

Cinderella at the Dance Studio

I've been studying belly dancing at a studio and being that I am broke right now, I proposed a baretr style, I clean the sudio for them, they give me a free class. Pretty sweet deal when you consider it's $100 every 6 weeks.

There I was last night after class sweeping up our studio and in the next studio were the advanced performers training for their big show next weekend. I've been in beginner's level for about 3 months now and we've learned very basic moves: shimmies, hip drops, figure 8s. Eventually as you level up, these basic moves become layered with the more complicated moves you generally see dancers performing.

These dancers were performing the basic moves as if they were second nature to them and adding lots of more complicated moves I couldn't quite place overtop. Watching them is always inspiring and motivating to see that eventually it is possible to move through an entire dance routine. Having spent this much time with beginner's classes, I can appreciate that these dancers have been at it for years.

I did feel a bit like Cinderella watching her sisters go out to the ball as I slowly swept past them.

But well, one day my dance will come :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a lovely post.