Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Tommy Thompson + Early May Freeze

Wow yesterday was really chilly here in Toronto. Or maybe it's just that I'm not dressing for the weather. I refuse to don my winter coat again and officially put the winter gear away, danmit! As a result, that led to my own freezingness (yes it's now a word).

Zipping around the city yesterday added 15km to my odometre. I'm getting better at negotiating city traffic and beating the traffic light stall.

I also did a very short 20km training ride with a fellow Bike Rally rider yesterday. From downtown along the lakshore we looped a good chunk of Tommy Thompson Park. For those of you who aren't aware of this treasure, it's situated at the very south end of Leslie Street. It juts out into the water and sticks out very close to Ward's Island at one point. It's awesome because there are hardly ever cars there and you can bike for many kilometres undisturbed. There's also lots of great wildlife viewing: rabbits, grounhogs, racoons, beavers and any kind of bird you can imagine. It has one of the most spectacular views of the Toronto skyline, highly recommended at sunset.

While I biked all through winter this year, the chill coming off Lake Ontario, my thin gloves and spring shoes, we were back indoors before long enjoying hot chocolate. I figure that I've been very good about pushing myself and bike everyday for many kms. I'll be at this Saturday's training ride, so I'm entitled to have one lazy training ride (yes I feel guilty... but it was great hot chocolate!)

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I love biking on the spit - no traffic, few pedestrians, great view. But I'm afraid I'm going to run over a rabbit one of these days.