Sunday, May 20, 2007

7th Training Ride: Pickering (65km)

I was already exhausted when I woke up this morning. Then about 15kms into the ride I slipped on my bike in the middle of an intersection and came down on both my knees and left elbow. Just some scrapes and bruises but the landing directly on my kneecaps was hard. I thought about taking the GO Train back from Pickering but decided to push on. It made a brutal ride even worse since my knees were stiff and hurt to pedal. But life's short and sometimes pain happens to make you realize how much you can actually push yourself.

The wind was brutal today and we were getting blown all over the road. It seemed to come at us form almost every angle. Taunton Road was just brutal. Lots of hills today too and I couldn't really push because of the wind. Todd was an angel! At halfway he was there to motivate us and gave me a 500ml of water which I finished in about 1 minute flat.

We stopped a lot too. Spent about 20 minutes at Tim's in Pickering, wolfing down an egg sandwich and A + I scored some extra tim bits (which I don't advise but we needed some chocolate to push us through).

I made a decent pasta lunner, sitting here with a bag of peas on my knees. If I could survive today, the rest will be a piece of cake :-)


Distance: 65km
Time: 3hr25mins (biking time)
Avg Speed: 20.5km/hr

No comments: