Sunday, June 3, 2007

8th Training Ride: Musselman Lake (95km)

TTC doesn't run early on Sundays so my training partner + I headed out on the GO Train just after 7am up to Scarborough. We were not keen on doing the Pickering route again. Sometimes I like just biking solo or with one other person. Less complicated. It can drive you nuts having to focus on signalling every little bump in the road among other things.

It was a really beautiful ride, mostly through country rides (although suburbia is fast encroaching in many places). Today was all about the push and I'm glad that I have someone who I'm able to ride with and see when they need a boost and they see when I need a boost, etc. It was threatening to rain on us all morning. It only spit lightly heading back down Midland towards the subway. It was kind of nice to wash away the sweat a little and cool us down.

Musselman's Lake was just as beautiful as I remembered it. I had some very-bad-for-you french toast with table syrup and that kept my spirits up most of the ride back.

Something I'm learning about myself is that I definitely enjoy being on a bike. I'm not a fan of all this rush rush to get to the end stuff though. I wish I had more time to stop and explore and enjoy on the way. York Region has so many beautiful forest trails and it would be far better than spending a few hours on Kennedy and Warden. I enjoy boosting. There are times when we're just going dead flat for long periods of time and it can be hard to stay motivated.

Biking is definitely a meditative space for me though.


AVG Speed: 23.7km/hr
Fastest AVG: 25km/hr (1st 20kms)
Biking Time: 4hrs!
Best Stop: Sketchy Bar/restaurant near Musselman's Lake

No comments: